Tuesday, August 14, 2007



Tonight I watched one of my all time favorite movies, "Me and You and Everyone We Know." The drawings on the bottom left are characters from the movie. In fact, the younger girl on the bottom right reminds me a bit of another character in the movie. If you haven't seen it, you should definately go out and rent it today. It was written and directed by Miranda July who also wrote a great book/series of short stories called "No One Belongs Here More than You."

Anyways, I said I had big news. Today, I accepted my assignment/invitation to volunteer with the Peace Corps in Mozambique. I will be teaching English as a Second Language and have have orientation in Philadelphia, PA from September 23-25. I will begin training immediately after that in Maputo, the capital of Mozambique. I will try to periodically update this blog but I am not sure what access I will have to the Internet, or electricity. Here is a map of eastern Africa.

Maputo is in the very south of Mozambique.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!

I think you're going to love the experience.

Back in 1995 my family and I went on a vacation to South Africa (Jo-Berg area) and Swaziland. It was a lot of fun -went on some safaris, hung out with the locals, ate some zebra, caught malaria for a weekend, you know the usual...

I'm guessing Maputo will have similar terrain and culture (culture meaning a HUGE gap between the wealthy and poor).

I am very excited for you!!!

10:50 PM  
Blogger Mohundro said...

Thanks Kyle. I really thing I will love it too. I have been looking at photos of other volunteers' experiences and I am just overwhelmed with excitement. I have had a little experience with how rewarding teaching ESL is and know that I will not be disappointed in Africa. Not to mention, the landscape and wildlife will be amazing.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home